Chapter Four: Auntie Jessa


4/22/17


     One of the most rewarding things in the world is being an auntie. If you've never had a niece or nephew, you don't know what I'm talking about. You get to have all the fun and playtime you want, kisses and cuddles, sweets and treats, and then you can hand the kid back at the end of it. That's the best part, right? Ha, just kidding. My niece and nephew are my two absolute favorite people in the whole world. They will always come first to me. Sorry everyone. Although I do love my boyfriend and the rest of my family and my friends, Ellie and Eliot are the lights of my life. I think the best day of my life, besides them being born, was the day I first heard Ellie say, "I love you, Auntie." It was the cutest thing I've ever heard, and my heart pretty much melted right there.

    When I first found out that my brother, Jonny, was going to be a dad, I remember thinking, "Wow, that's so weird." I had grown up with him, and I guess I had never thought of either of my brothers as dads, or that it was even possible. And that's not supposed to sound like an insult, I swear. It's just different when it actually happens in your family. It's something exciting and new, and amazing, and a little bit scary. I was so happy, though. I had friends with babies and I was like an "auntie" to them, but this was actually going to be my flesh and blood. I remember realllllyyy wanting a little niece, so I could dress her up, do her hair and nails, and pass down all my old Barbie dolls to her. Then came the gender reveal party, and they sliced open the cake, and voila! Pink frosting. Everyone was so excited. There were many, MANY names tossed around. And then there was Gisselle Lee Williams, Ellie for short. She was born, and we all rushed to the hospital to meet her. The first time I held her was magical. It was like I was holding a mini Jonny. It was weird, but amazing all at the same time. I was finally an auntie!

     In the beginning of Ellie's life, I was always there. My nana watched her during the day when my brother and Ellie's mother worked, and I would always sneak over to her house and cuddle her and just rock with her in my arms for hours. Those were the best days, when I got to nap with my sweet Ellie. Then she started to get older and she began to go to school, and I worked a lot. Plus, she didn't live with us, she lived with her mother and only came over sometimes. Then when I would see her, she'd be doing something new, like brushing her teeth, speaking in full sentences, having just a bit more knowledge in her little brain. She's the smartest, most beautiful little girl. Sometimes I really regret not spending more time with her while she was growing up. At times, when I would come home and see her, she'd be scared and start to cry and hide behind everyone when I tried to give her a hug. It made me sad sometimes. But now, when I walk into the room or I come home from being out, she lights up and says, "AUNTIE!" It makes me feel awesome. I love spending time with Ellie, and she begs me to play with her all the time. I love to just sit on the floor with her and use our imaginations together and feel like a little kid again. It's nice to get away from the everyday adulting that the world puts us through.

    I still remember the morning I found out Rita was pregnant with Eliot. I was laying in bed, just waking up, and heard my phone ring. I dug it out from under the pillows and saw Rita calling, which is weird because she never really calls out of the blue unless something important happens. I answered it and she said, "I have a bit of a secret to tell you, but you have to promise not to tell anyone." Now, knowing Rita, this is something that doesn't often happen. I said, "Uh, what is it?" Almost immediately she said, "I'M PREGNANT." I didn't know what to say; it was one of the last things I was expecting to hear. I asked if she was sure and she replied that she had taken like four tests so she was pretty sure she was sure. I had to laugh at that one. My sister-in-law is nothing if not thorough, and is always challenging the clear facts in front of her. Those are a few of the things of many that I love about her. My next reaction was to say I was really happy and I promised I wouldn't tell anyone, because it was still kind of early to be sure. Sure enough though, I'm pretty sure she was around 6-7 weeks pregnant. I was going to be an auntie again!

     This time, it wasn't as weird to think about my brother becoming a dad. Jared hasn't always been the best role model (my parents can attest to that), but he was on the late side of his twenties and had a house and a wife and a dog, so I knew that was bound to be the next step in his life. I tried to picture the couple we all know and love as Jarita getting up in the middle of the night to change a diaper or feed a baby a bottle. It was hard to picture at first, but over time I started to get used to the idea. The weirdest part was when Rita finally started to show. She was beautiful, don't get me wrong, but it was all finally real that they were going to be parents in just a few short months. I could tell both of them were absolutely terrified, but deep down in my heart I knew two things for sure: one, they were going to be amazing parents, and two, they were going to make the most beautiful baby. AND THEY DID. When I walked into that hospital room and saw Eliot Cutler Williams, I wanted to cry. I fell in love all over again. He was so beautiful. I held him and never wanted to let go. I promised myself, and this little bundle of adorableness that I would be there for him like I didn't get to be there for Ellie.

    Ellie and Eliot are my world. Without them, I don't think I would feel as fulfilled or rewarded. Being an Auntie, I think, is something I was destined for. When I'm upset, the only thing I want to do is play Barbies with Ellie or sing to my sweet little Eliot. They bring me so much joy and laughter with the wonder in their eyes and the smiles on their faces. Ellie cracks me up on the daily with the things she says that I wonder where the hell she got that from. I can't even begin to describe the happiness I feel when those two are around. I can honestly say, the only thing that would make me happier is the day that I become a mother to my own babies. (No, mom and dad, I'm not planning on that anytime soon, and I KNOW you're reading this and saying that to yourself.)

    So now, maybe you have a little bit of an idea about how much being an auntie means to me. 10 out of 10, would recommend. So if you don't have a niece or a nephew, you ain't living life right. Start cracking down on your siblings and telling them to get to work (just kidding)!!! That's all for tonight, folks. Happy reading.

xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter Twenty-Nine: I Am

Chapter Twenty: Bad Habits

Chapter Five: A Letter to My 16-year Old Self